VA Educational Benefits

Montgomery GI Bill®
(Chapter 30, Chapter 1606)

Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD) - Chapter 30

The Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for education and training programs. If you served at least 2 years on active duty, find out if you qualify for benefits under the MGIB-AD program.

Learn more >>

Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) - Chapter 1606

The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program offers up to 36 months of education and training benefits. If you’re a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, you may be eligible for this benefit. Find out if you qualify.

Learn more >>

How to Apply

  • Veterans who wish to use their VA educational benefits for the first time should apply online at and complete a Form 22-1990 - Application for Educational Benefits, to receive a Certificate of Eligibility.
  • If educational benefits have previously been used complete a Form 22-1995, Change of Program or Place of Training, online at to receive a Certificate of Eligibility.
  • Submit the following items to the Rice University Office of the Registrar:
    • Certificate of Eligibility
    • Certificate of Release of Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214)
    • Official academic transcripts from previously attended colleges and/or universities
    • VA Information Sheet
    • VA Degree Plan

Students enrolled or interested in enrolling in a degree program offered through the Jones Graduate School of Business, please visit for important steps on applying to use your VA education benefit.

For more information, please visit the Montgomery GI Bill page on the VA website.