VA Educational Benefits

Educational Benefits for a Dependent of a Veteran

If you are the spouse or son or daughter (whether natural or adopted) of someone who served honorably in any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces, you may be eligible for these options to help pay for your education at Rice University.

Transfer of Eligibility for Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits

Eligible service members can transfer all or some of their unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children.

Learn more >>

Dependents Education Assistance Program

This Veterans Affairs program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of disabled or deceased veterans.

Learn more >>

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

This scholarship provides benefits to children and spouses of service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001.

Learn more >>

Hazlewood Act

The purpose of the Hazlewood Act is to provide education benefits to honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans, or to qualified dependent children. As a private education institution, Rice University does not participate in the Hazlewood Act exemptions.

For a list of Texas public institutions that accept Hazlewood Act exemptions, click here.

For more information about the Hazlewood Act, click here.