VA Educational Benefits

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) helps you pay for school or job training. If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33).

Post-9/11 GI Bill® Eligibility

You may be eligible for education benefits if you meet at least one of these requirements.

At least one of these requirements must be true:

  • You served at least 90 days on active duty (either all at once or with breaks in service) on or after September 11, 2001, or
  • You received a Purple Heart on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged after any amount of service, or
  • You served for at least 30 continuous days (all at once, without a break in service) on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged with a service-connected disability, or
  • You’re a dependent child using benefits transferred by a qualifying Veteran or service member

Note: If you’re a member of the Reserves who lost education benefits when the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) ended in November 2015, you may qualify to receive restored benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

How to Apply

  • Veterans who wish to use their VA educational benefits for the first time should apply online at and complete a Form 22-1990 - Application for Educational Benefits, to receive a Certificate of Eligibility.
  • If educational benefits have previously been used complete a Form 22-1995 - Change of Program or Place of Training, online at to receive a Certificate of Eligibility.
  • Submit the following items to the Rice University Office of the Registrar:
    • Certificate of Eligibility
    • Certificate of Release of Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214)
    • Official academic transcripts from previously attended colleges and/or universities
    • VA Information Sheet
    • VA Degree Plan

Students enrolled or interested in enrolling in a degree program offered through the Jones Graduate School of Business, please visit for important steps on applying to use your VA education benefit.

Information on Tuition and Fees, Housing, Books and Supplies under Post-9/11 GI Bill® Study Abroad Programs is available.

Please be advised that in order to receive additional funding through the Yellow Ribbon Program you must be at 100% eligibility as defined by the Department of Veteran Affairs.

For more information, please visit the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) page on the VA website.