VA Educational Benefits

Transfer of Eligibility for Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits

Note: The Department of Defense (DoD) decides whether you can transfer GI Bill benefits to your family.


You may be able to transfer your Post-9/11 BI Bill benefits if you are on active duty or in the Selected Reserve and you meet all of these requirements:

All of these must be true:

  • You've completed at least 6 years of service on the date your request is approved, and
  • You agree to add 4 more years of service, and
  • The person getting benefits has enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).

What benefits can my qualified dependents get?

  • Tuition
  • Housing
  • Books and supplies

How to Apply

  • Veterans who wish to use their VA educational benefits for the first time should apply online at and complete Form 22-1990E - Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits, to receive a Certificate/Letter of Eligibility.
  • If educational benefits have previously been used, complete a Form 22-1995 - Change of Program or Place of Training, online at to receive a Certificate of Eligibility.
  • Submit the following items to the Rice University Office of the Registrar:

Students enrolled or interested in enrolling in a degree program offered through the Jones Graduate School of Business, please visit for important steps on applying to use your VA education benefit.

For more information, please visit the Transfer of Eligibility for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits page on the VA website.