Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find answers to the questions we get asked the most about Veteran Benefits.
- How do I apply to use my VA education benefits at Rice University?
In order to use your VA education benefit at Rice, you must
- Apply and be accepted into a degree-seeking program (i.e. Bachelors, Masters, Doctor of Philosophy)
- Submit proof of your approved VA benefit to the Office of the Registrar via the secure upload portal
- How do I apply for benefits or request a Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?
You can apply for a VA Education Benefit or request a Certificate by calling the VA at (888) 442-4551 or online at https://www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply/.
- Are you a Yellow Ribbon School?
Yes, we are a Yellow Ribbon School. For additional information, please visit the Yellow Ribbon Program page
- Is there anything I need to do for the upcoming semester?
You should complete and submit the Request for VA Enrollment Certification form to our office no later than the second week of classes. If you do not complete the form, you will not be certified for the upcoming semester.
- How can I manage my VA education benefits?
You can manage your VA education benefit by logging into VA eBenefits.
- Can I view the payments that have been sent to me and to Rice?
You can view payments sent to you by reviewing your VA payment history. You can also view payments sent to Rice by reviewing your student account or bill.
- When is my VA tuition funding going to come in?
Funding can be expected anywhere between 2-5 weeks after certification by Rice. Rice certifies tuition after the add deadline date of each semester.
- When is my VA housing allowance going to come in?
Housing allowances begin the first of the month following the start of classes. Rice begins certifying courses and credits prior to each semester and well into each semester.
- What if I need my stipend to pay my on-campus housing and dining charges?
You can set-up a payment plan with the Cashier's Office. Additional information on setting up a payment plan is available on the Student Accounts and Cashier's Office website.
- I am going abroad - will the VA cover that?
The VA will cover tuition and fees for courses taken abroad if the courses are required to fulfill your degree program requirements.
- How do I contact the VA?
The VA may be contacted online through the AskVA or via the VA Benefits Hotline at (800) 827-1000 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m./ET).
Please visit the VA Contact Us page for other options to contact the VA.
- Do you accept the Hazlewood Act?
No, the benefit can be used at Public Institutions and Universities. For additional information, please visit the Hazlewood and Education Services page.
- What benefit do I qualify for?
The US Department of Veterans Affairs determines your eligibility for a VA education. For additional information, please visit the VA Education and Training Benefits page.
- I have been accepted into a degree-seeking program. How do I get my payment from the VA?
Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility, VA Information Sheet, and Request for VA Enrollment Certification form via the secure upload portal.
- I have been accepted into a non-credit certificate program at the Glasscock School of Continuing Studies. Can I use my VA education benefit?
Non-credit certificate programs offered by the Glasscock School of Continuing Studies are not a part of our approved program list; therefore you will not be able to use your VA Education Benefit to cover the cost of the program. For additional information on the list of approved programs, please visit the Institution Search page on the VA website.
- I have been accepted into a for-credit certificate program at the Glasscock School of Continuing Studies. Can I use my VA education benefit?
For credit certificate programs offered by the Glasscock School of Continuing Studies are part of our approved program list; therefore you will be able to use your VA Education Benefit to cover the cost of the program. For additional information on the list of approved programs, please visit the Institution Search page on the VA website.